Tuesday, February 28, 2012

a personal accomplishment


For one reason or another, meringues have given me more trouble than I'd like to admit. Every year on passover, my mom and I attempt the seemingly simple 5 ingredient cookie, and every year something goes wrong --the egg whites don't peak, the cookies never finish cooking, they are mushy on the inside...the troubles go on. No matter what we seem to do, what recipe we seem to try, it just never works out. And it's not just on passover. I know that not everyone likes them, but I truly love meringues, plus, they're naturally gluten free!

And so, I made it my mission to master the meringue. A simple task, perhaps for some, but a small baking Everest for myself. This weekend, filled with confidence brought on by my cookie making rampage (see the previous post). With scientific calculations (looking at many recipes and figuring out what would work best for me), I finally came up with a fool proof (I know, they all say they're fool proof) recipe for meringues. These meringues turned out perfectly crisp and delicious, and while they are just plain vanilla meringues, I am incredibly proud of myself. In the future, I promise more interesting meringue variations, but for now, please enjoy these!

A word to the wise, be sure to add the ingredients in order and mix as directed! This will really help ensure the perfect peaking egg whites and the deliciously sweet and crispy meringues (follow the picture montage below!)


Beauties!!!



Vanilla Meringues

3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
1 cup sugar

Preheat your oven to 200 degrees
Beat (with a whisk attachment) eggs, vanilla and salt in your mixing bowl on high until foamy
Slowly add the sugar (1 tbsp at a time until it is all added) in while continuing to mix on medium-high
Once all of the sugar is added, whip mixture until stiff peaks form (see pictures!)
With a spoon, dollop tablespoon sized meringues onto a parchment lined cookie sheet (they will keep the shape that you place them in, and will not expand)
Bake the cookies for 1hr 30 min before allowing to cool on the cookie sheet
enjoy!

egg whites

the peaks begin

almost there

perfectly peaked!!
into the oven
the finished product
enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment