Sunday, March 4, 2012

the hunt for the perfect cookie

There is just nothing like a warm, gooey chocolate cookie to put a smile on my face. And I'm not talking Chips Ahoy. I've never been so into store bought chocolate chip cookies, but put some homemade yummies in front of my face, and I will go to town. I love a sweet and salty cookie, with rich buttery flavor, and delicious chocolate chunks to top off a meal (or you know, just in the afternoon or something). 

I've had my fair share of mouth watering chocolate chip cookies over the years, but recently, I've made it a personal goal to make a deliciously perfect (or as close to perfect as possible) chocolate chip cookie. Not as easy as it looks. Some cookies are too hard, and some fall apart. Lets be honest, who doesn't want a cookie that's slightly undercooked chewy on the inside with a slightly crispy outside? To make matters worse, as my gluten free friends out there can tell you, gluten free baking is no picnic --the finicky flour, the confusing xanthum gum, the tricky ratios...the list goes on. Needless to say, I've certainly burdened myself with a weighty task. 

This batch of cookies was incredibly delicious. The flavors were spot on, and they had a surprisingly wonderful texture, which is not always achieved with gluten free baking. They were a hit with my friends, who assured me that they "didn't even taste gluten free!" (Success or what?!) The two and a half dozen that I made were eaten within about 48 hours, leaving only the memories (and some beautiful pictures) of these tasty treats.

Though these cookies were delicious, the quest for the perfect cookie continues. There are definitely things that can be improved in this recipe, and I assure you, this will not be the last you hear from the beloved chocolate chip cookie. Over the next few months, you will have the pleasure of reading about my ongoing hunt for perfection. I have to say though, I'm off to a delicious start. These cookies got rave reviews, but they're only going to get better from here.

look at that cookie

Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups gf flour
¾ tsp xanthum gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts toasted and chopped


buttery, chocolatey dough
fresh out of the oven

the perfect bite.

Preheat your oven to 300 degrees
Cut the cold butter into small 1/4 inch cubes
Beat together both the regular and brown sugars with the butter until well mixed and smooth
With your mixer on medium speed, mix in the egg, vanilla, and baking soda
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthum gum, and salt
Once combined, add slowly into the wet ingredients in the mixer
Toast walnuts in your oven or on your stove for a few minutes until toasted nicely
Toss the chocolate chips and walnuts into the batter and mix (you might want to mix by hand, or on low, as the mixer may break up the chips and walnuts down)
With your hands, roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 3-4 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet
Bake the cookies for 17 minutes or until they just start to brown. If using two cookie sheets at once, switch the cookies from the top shelf to the bottom (and vice versa) so that they cook evenly
enjoy- and be sure to snag one right out of the oven, it will be totally worth it!!

1 comment:

  1. i will expect a batch when i come to visit you this summer!

    ReplyDelete