Wednesday, July 11, 2012

the perfect chocolate peanut butter bite

One of my favorite classic dessert combos is chocolate and peanut butter. We must get it from our Bubbe (who grew up eating peanut chews and loves a treat with cocoa and pb), but my sister and I seriously love that classic combination. While perhaps most famous these days in Reeses Cups and pieces (YUM), I love finding new ways to incorporate them into my dessert recipes. If you hadn't noticed yet, I feature a ton of recipes here with chocolate and peanut butter, from cookies to brownies and beyond. Nothing beats that sweet and salty taste of melt in your mouth deliciousness.

Last weekend, I was celebrating the birthday of one of my dear friends from work. My co-workers, as I've mentioned before, are not only wonderful supporters and fans of my cooking, they also are all around wonderful people. I love getting to celebrate their birthdays, especially outside of our office which can get a little crazy. My friends met up for a lovely picnic in Central Park to enjoy the sun and celebrate my friend's birthday. Since my work friends have tried so many of my creations, I asked my friend what she would like for me to make for the picnic. Her request of a simple, yet delicious dessert treat, inspired the recipe below.

It is probably one you've seen before, in one variation or another, but something I had never made (all the more inspiring to test it out)! Here is my take on a classic, puppy chow! I have to tell you, it is so incredibly simple, and so delicious. Seriously, you might want to watch out, this stuff is addictive. Make it in a big batch, but share it with your friends, or you will seriously chow it all down. Whip this up in no time and bring it to a picnic with your friends in the park, they'll definitely appreciate it!


yum.


Puppy Chow

9 cups of rice Chex cereal (naturally gluten free!)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar



In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate chips
Once the chocolate is melted, add the peanut butter and mix (over low heat) until they are smooth and combined
Remove from heat, and add the Chex into the saucepan and stir until fully coated
Pour the powdered sugar into a large ziploc bag, and pour in the cereal (now coated in chocolate)
Shake the bag well until all of the cereal is coated with sugar
Pour into a large air-tight container and enjoy now or store for later!

get it before its gone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment