Tuesday, September 4, 2012

not your mama's potato salad

It may not come as much of a surprise, but I don't really like mayonnaise. There's something about it's smell, texture, and taste that just doesn't do it for me. When making a dressing, a salad, or a sandwich, I am always looking for a good alternative for mayo. I love using mustard, instead of the traditional mayo--another good substitute is Greek yogurt. I love taking traditional dishes, that are known for being heavy or not incredibly flavorful and recreating them. By being a bit creative and thinking just a little bit outside the jar, you can really make some yummy dishes.

As I've mentioned before, one of the people I love cooking with the most is my mom. She is an incredible cook and when we work side by side we create culinary harmony. Whenever I am home, we always cook up a storm. I love taking advantage of my beautiful large kitchen at home (sorry apartment), and the fresh ingredient that we always have. Thanks to my garden, we are always fully stocked with delicious and fresh veggies, fruit, and herbs. Last weekend, I was home, spending the weekend with my family before my sister went back to school. My mom and I, up to our usual tricks, spent a large amount of the weekend in the kitchen. This post (and a few more to come) are all recipes from the weekend- so keep your eyes out for delicious mommy-daughter recipes coming your way!

My mom also loves getting creative in the kitchen and putting her own spin on recipes. When she introduced me to this incredible potato salad, I had to eat it to believe it. We had a huge bar-b-que on Saturday night, and what goes better with a summer bbq than potato salad? Now, I am not a huge fan of the traditional mayo-y potato salad, but this one really takes potato salad to a whole new level of gourmet. Thanks to my mom (and a little help from Ina Garten), I can now say I like potato salad--at least this one! Summer is rolling to a close, but there are still a few warm days left for bbq's and potato salad on the side. Try out this twist on an old classic, I promise you'll love it!

Fresh Herbed Potato Salad

2 lb small red or white boiling potatoes
3 tbsp dry white wine
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
8 tbsp olive oil
8 tbsp chopped herbs of your choice (we used basil, parsley, chive, rosemary, and thyme)

lil potatoes
freshly picked, beautiful herbs
 Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the potatoes for about 25 minutes, or until they are just cooked through
Drain the potatoes and place in a bowl, with a towel over the top, allowing to steam for 10 minutes
Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters (bite sized) and place in a bowl
Toss the potatoes with the white wine and allow the wine to soak in for at least 10 minutes
Combine the vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper, and slowly whisk in the olive oil
Add the vinaigrette to the potatoes
Add the herbs to the potatoes and toss
Serve at room temperature and enjoy!

yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment