Monday, October 29, 2012

hurricane cookies

You've seen it on the news, and if you haven't, turn the television on! Hurricane Sandy is here in full force, and cycling around the tri-state area. As I'm sure most of you can relate to, I'm working from home today. As much as the hurricane scares me, it is nice to have a day off from work (though I'm still hooked tightly into my email). Being home has also given me a chance to catch up on my baking. Just before the storm hit, in addition to doing my normal food shop to stock up for the week, I also bought a bunch of baking supplies. So far, I've made cookies and a bread, and it looks like cupcakes may be in my future. As long as I have power, the baked goods are definitely going to keep on coming. Baking not only calms my nerves, but if I'm going to be stuck inside, I might as well have something yummy to eat (My roommate made us spinach hummus for lunch)!!

These cookies are chock full of yummy. They are filled with chunks, plus are soft on the inside and just a little crispy on the outside. They are perfect hurricane cookies; very filling, and even (a little) healthy! While you still have power, cuddle up with a warm cup of tea and a cookie. If anyone wants to come join us as we hunker down, we have cookies! I can't promise there will be any left after the storm is over, but I will certainly make these again. These little balls of goodness are keeping my tummy and my head happy. I hope everyone stays safe and warm!


Sandy, these cookies are for you.

Hurricane Cookies

1 stick (4 oz) butter, softened
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup gf flour mix (all purpose flour can be used here as well)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used gf- make sure you check to see if they're labeled!)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup white chocolate chips



pre
post (thank goodness we still have electricity!)
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until very smooth
In a different bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt
Stir your dry ingredients into your wet
Once combined, gently fold in the oats and chips
Chill your dough for 30 minutes in the fridge
While chilling, pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees
Remove the dough and roll into 1.5 in balls and place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet
Bake the cookies for about 11 minutes (if you are baking two trays at once, switch their position in the oven half way through
Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes on the cookie sheet
Transfer to a cooling rack, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment