Wednesday, February 20, 2013

easy winter dinner

I think it is great to have go-to recipes. I love coming home to cook dinner, but the hardest part is that after a long day, all I want is a delicious meal but sometimes I just don't have the energy (and if you've learned anything from my blog, its that I likely don't have a lot of frozen meals hanging out in my freezer). I love cooking all of the time, but sometimes at the end of the day I need to make something quick and easy. My best go-to recipes involve a lot of produce (duh), and a lot of flavor. I love making brown rice bowls filled with greens and feta or quinoa pasta topped with a ton of veggies. Usually I start with veggies and a grain, and go from there. I always have a ton of grains in my apartment, since they stay very well and are perfect in a pinch. Having dried goods in my pantry make weeknight dinners a snap to throw together.

The other night I was in the mood for something just a little different. These days, the farmers market definitely has slim pickins. While you can still find apples and a lot of root vegetables, there is little else available this time of year. One thing that I've been buying on a regular basis is cabbage. Cabbage is so delicious and amazing in salads. It is incredibly fresh right now, despite the incredible cold! Something else that I have been finding are brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts remind me of little mini-cabbages, and a totally underrated vegetable. Everyone as a child hates them, but I honestly think that its because people don't cook them the right way. This is a brussels sprout recipe that proves the stereotype wrong. It is a great quick recipe to whip up on a cold winter night, and incredibly filling. The ingredient combo is amazing, and I definitely recommend making it. It will take no time to put together after a long day, and is delicious!


Quinoa with Shaved Brussels Sprouts, Almonds, and Parmesan

1/4 cup dry quinoa
1 1/2 cup shaved brussels sprouts (if you can't find shaved brussels sprouts in a bag, you can buy regular sprouts and cut them into thin strips)
1 tsp olive oil
salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 tbsp parmesan cheese (grated)

quick, easy, delicious!


Bring quinoa and 1/2 cup water to boil, bring down to a simmer, season with salt, pepper, and garlic, and cover
Cook quinoa for 15 minutes on low or until fluffy
In a pan cook brussels sprouts with olive oil for about 6 minutes or until they just begin to crisp
Toss quinoa with brussels sprouts and almonds, and top with cheese
enjoy!!

give brussels a try<3

No comments:

Post a Comment