Thursday, February 16, 2012

more than just sugar

I know what you're thinking, who taught this girl how to eat? Yes, I'll admit, I have a slight sweet tooth (okay, slight under-exaggeration). But I promise, as much as I love sweets, I LOVE produce. In fact, if produce wasn't so healthy, I would say I have an unhealthy obsession. I blame it on my father. In my house, my dad is known as "the fruit man." Growing up, he would come home multiple times a week from work, arms bulging with bags full of fruits and veggies. I had produce with every meal, and still do. These days, it's pretty hard to find a fruit or vegetable that I don't like (okay, you got me--I do not like honeydew). During the summer, I spend my Saturdays wandering through the stands at the farmer's market, getting inspired by the beautiful greens, reds, oranges, and purples (I promise, starting in spring, this blog will seriously get vegged up). I'll eat 'em raw, steamed, roasted...you name it.
So anyways...enough with the veggie rant, there will be plenty of recipes to come that will express my love. 

My favorite time of day is around 7pm, when I get home from work, and have time to cook dinner. Nothing relaxes me more then cooking a delicious dinner for myself, and those that I love.  I'm fortunate to have many wonderful friends who enjoy coming over for a home cooked meal (or cooking with me and sharing new recipes), in return for their wonderful company. Thus, without further ado, the first of many delicious week night meals (starring produce).


YUM.

Herb Crusted Salmon and Steamed Lemon Kale, with Blistered Tomatoes


Fillet of fresh Salmon (1 fillet per person)
1 tsp of olive oil
1/2 a lemon
A sprinkle of salt and pepper
1/4 tsp of rosemary, fresh or dried (off the stem and chopped if fresh)
1/2 tsp dried dill

Take your fillets out of fridge and let them come to room temperature
Once fish is at room temperature, drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Zest a teaspoon of lemon rind onto the fish (a microplane works Wonderfully for this--thanks Mom!)
Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, and a good amount of dill

Heat a skillet over high heat and coat with nonstick cooking spray
Place the fish skin side up into the pan and let it cook on high for two minutes
Once a crispy top has been achieved (try not to lift it up before two minutes to ensure a nice crust) flip fish and lower the heat to medium-low, allowing the fish to cook for 5-7 more minutes, depending on how thick the fish is
Once done, remove, and serve with fresh lemon!



1/4 onion, diced (one whole shallot, diced also works beautifully here)
1/2 tsp olive oil
3 cups of kale, taken off of the stem and cut into ribbons
1/2 a lemon
A sprinkle of salt and pepper
1/2 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Heat a large sauce pan adding a drizzle of olive oil when hot
Add chopped onion or shallot and cook over medium heat for around 5 minutes
Once onions have browned, add a generous splash of water to the pan
Add the kale to the pan, toss and cover
Once the kale starts to cook down (around 3 minutes), add the tomatoes to the pot as well
Cook together for 3-4 minutes before removing from heat

Sprinkle veggies with salt and squeeze the rest of your lemon juice over the kale
Enjoy!
check out those herbs!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment