Tuesday, February 14, 2012

chocolate chubsters, for the fat kid in you

These cookies, are out of this world. But let's back up for a minute. Valentine's day has come around again, and once again the flurry of pink, hearts, and cheesy cards seems to cloud everyone's Valentine's day experience. But for me, Valentine's day has always been about the chocolate. When I was in elementary school, each year we would make valentine's mail boxes out of empty orange juice cartons, or old shoe boxes. I loved nothing more than handing out my hand made valentines to all of my classmates, and sorting through my mailbox after all had been passed out. Though I appreciated them all, truth be told, the valentine's I cared about were those that came with candy, specifically chocolate. Ever since, my love of chocolate has grown, as has my love for chocolate on Valentine's day. Now, I'm a firm believer that Valentine's day is kind of a made up holiday, but hey-- when chocolate is involved, I'm not complaining.

This year, I baked for all of my lovely work valentines, and a few friends as well. I started off thinking I was going to make sugar cookies, or something pink, but let's be honest--what girl doesn't just want good old fashion chocolate? So this recipe was created. It's kind of a mix between cookies, brownies, and meringues, but whatever you call them, they're delicious.


Triple Chocolate Chubsters

8 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
8 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup gluten free flour mix
1/8 tsp xanthum gum
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place a glass or metal bowl over a saucepan with 1 inch of simmering water
Place butter in bowl. Once melted, add chocolate, cocoa, and oil--remove and let cool for 5 minutes once melted
Whip eggs in a bowl with a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment on medium. Once the eggs are foamy and thickened, add sugar and vanilla, increasing speed of mixer. Whip aprox. 3 minutes, until eggs are very thick and pale yellow
Reduce speed to medium and add chocolate mixture
Change to paddle attachment and add flour, xanthum gum, baking powder, and salt
Remove from mixer and add chocolate chips and walnuts--mix with a wooden spoon
Use an icecream scooper (or a soup spoon if you don't have one) and portion the batter onto pans lined with parchment paper. Place cookies 1-2 inches apart, they will not expand too much
Bake 17 minutes, until edges release easily
It is okay if the center is underdone slightly--I promise, it is better this way!
enjoy!! 

 

1 comment:

  1. Love the little stories with the recipes! I am keeping all these fabulous gluten-free recipes for when your gluten-free cousin is home from school- then we will try to reproduce them!

    ReplyDelete