Monday, March 12, 2012

birthday cake, gluten free chocolatey goodness


This past week was one of my best friend's birthdays. And lets be honest, who doesn't love birthdays. As you may remember, one of my favorite things about birthdays, is the cake. My roommate from college and I used to make a bee-line for the cake at birthday parties, while everyone else was busy mixing drinks. Who doesn't love an excuse to eat cake?

I'm very lucky to have a wonderful group of girlfriends, dating back to our elementary and middle school days. Flash forward a few years, and I now live with one of my best friends, and one of our other friends (the birthday girl) lives just a short walk away. This weekend two of our other best friends were staying with us in the city as well. We can be a little ridiculous when together, but always have a wonderful time. In addition to buying a fish (hey Beyonce), eating yummy food, cuddling and more, we also celebrated a birthday. Along side a few of our wonderful camp and college friends, we had an amazing weekend.

As I've said before, I believe everyone should have a cake on their birthday, and this was no exception. I definitely get nervous when making a gluten free dessert that is the only dessert at a party. And baking a birthday cake is even more nerve wracking, since its not just a nibble on the side kind of snack--the cake is front and center at the party. This time around, I wanted to make a chocolate cake, knowing my friends would love the chocolate-cream cheese combo. I have to say, it was definitely a success. I think (well, I hope!) the cake was very well received and everyone loved eating it, especially the birthday girl. With the decorating help of my incredibly artistic friends (see pictures below), the cake with certainly fit for a celebration. I'm so happy that I got to spend the weekend with so many people I love. And I will definitely be making this cake again- next time, make sure you get a piece!

happy birthday!!

Chocolate Birthday Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 cups cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk, shaken
2 large eggs
1/2 cup veg oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup hot coffee
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (1/4 cup)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Chop the chocolate, and pour into the coffee, stirring and allowing it to melt
Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
In another bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla
With your mixer on slow, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
With your mixer still on low add the coffee-chocolate mixture
Pour batter into two square or round baking dishes, prepared with non-stick cooking spray
Bake cakes for 35-40 minutes, switching their positions in the oven (top to bottom, bottom to top, half way through), and cool in pans for 30 minutes


just out of the oven

first layer

second layer


2 sticks of butter, softened
12 oz (3/4 lb) cream cheese, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar (a bit more or less, depending on how thick you like your frosting)
Candy and sprinkles to decorate

Whisk together the butter and cream cheese on high, stopping often to scrape down the whisk and sides of the bowl, until well combined 
Add the vanilla and mix to combine
Slowly add in the powdered sugar (watch out, it will be snowing in your kitchen) until your frosting has reached your desired consistency
If your frosting is a bit more liquidy, chill it slightly before spreading on your (completely cooled) cake
enjoy!

delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment