Sunday, March 11, 2012

something fishy

If you haven't noticed a trend yet, I absolutely love fish. While salmon is a regular in my kitchen, I am pretty much willing to cook with, and eat, any fish that comes my way. Because I don't eat meat, fish is one of my regular go to's, whether eating out or cooking in. I think that a lot of people are afraid of cooking fish; it has a strange consistency, is a little bit smelly sometimes, and can be a little tricky to handle. But, if you give it some spice and some love, I promise you, you'll be cooking fish in no time. It has nice flavor and texture when cooked, and there are so many different kinds to try. Though seemingly intimidating, it is actually relatively simple and quick to cook. Plus, when treated right- fish is incredibly delicious.

A couple of nights a week, I try to have fish. I'd like to say it's because of all of the nutritional value and protein, but really, I'm just a sucker for it. I love experimenting with different recipes, pairing it with various spices and sauces. One of my favorite ways to prepare fish is by crusting it. While I've done a ground almond-bread crumb crusted fish before, I was itching to try out something new. I've always wanted to crust a fish with sliced almonds, so last week I put it to the test. I put together this recipe (with the cooking help of my boyfriend), and let me tell you, it was a tasty success. It looks fancy, but it's really just a few simple steps to a mouth watering dinner. Impress your friends with this one --and try pairing it with this salad for a wonderful weeknight dinner.

dinner is served!

Almond Crusted Snapper with Warm Summer Squash Salad

2 fillets of snapper
1 splash of olive oil
1 egg white, beaten
A pinch of parsley
1/4 tsp salt and pepper
1/4 cup toasted almond slices


egg wash

almond crust

Rinse off the fish and be sure to remove any remaining bones or scales
Beat egg white with parsley, salt and pepper until it is fully combined and starts to get a little frothy (30 seconds with a fork should do the trick)
Soak the fish in the egg wash before topping the top side with almond slices. Press the almonds into the fish so that they stick well to it
Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan over high heat
Place the fish, skin side down in the plan and cook for 4 minutes
Once the fish begins to cook through, flip it over with a spatula and cook for another 4 minutes
Remove from the pan and enjoy!


1 yellow summer squash, cut into thin rounds
4 cups mixed greens
1 cup heirloom tomatoes, cut into quarters
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 good squeeze of honey or dijon mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
Slice your squash into thin rounds
Place them onto a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray and top with another spritz of cooking spray or a drizzle of olive oil
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Put your squash into the oven and roast for about 20 minutes or just until they start to become translucent and are not quite browning
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, mustard, and salt and pepper
Toss greens, tomatoes, and squash in a large bowl with the salad dressing and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment