Sunday, April 29, 2012

a different kind of pasta

When I cut gluten out of my life, I was definitely worried (or at least my mom was) that I would be starving and having nothing to eat on a daily basis. I've since learned that this is far from the truth. As you saw in the post below, there are definitely so many foods and ingredients that people who are gluten free can still cook with and enjoy. Thankfully, for someone who is a self-proclaimed foodie (however nerdy that may be), this is definitely a reassurance. Perusing my local Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is one of my favorite past-times, and I absolutely love discovering new gluten free products.

I don't consider pasta as one of my favorite foods, however when I'm in the mood for it, I'm in the mood for it. Especially after a long run, there's nothing I love more than a big bowl of pasta smothered in herbs and veggies. I've learned that there are a good number of pasta substitutes out there that are gluten free, and pretty delicious too. While some of them definitely have a weird consistency or a strange texture, by trial and error I've found some good ones. There is potato starch pasta, corn pasta, even quinoa pasta. But I've found that my favorite is brown rice pasta. This delicious wheat-free pasta is made from brown rice flour, and is truly delicious. It has the nice nutty-ness of brown rice --similar to the taste and texture you'd find in a whole wheat pasta, which I happen to love. Cooking it the exact right amount of time is definitely key, but once you've done it a couple of times, you'll get it down pat. You can find brown rice pasta at most natural foods markets, but I've started buying it at Trader Joe's (my supermarket heaven) and Whole Foods as well.

The other night, I was inspired to go beyond my usual pasta primavera. A year or two ago my old roommate (who also happens to be one of my best most wonderful friends) found a recipe for pasta with avocado sauce. I couldn't for the life of me find the recipe that we had used that day(and I know she had sent me), likely due to the fact that I have so many folders on my gmail that it's often hard to find where I filed things. Since I couldn't find the recipe, I decided to make one up myself, and let me tell you, it was outstanding!! I seriously recommend this recipe, it is simple to put together and packs a seriously delicious flavor punch. It is an easy and tasty alternative to your everyday pasta sauce, and would be great with other veggies added in. My friend who was over for dinner and I paired it with a yummy salad for a perfect week-night dinner.



it's green, its delicious --you've just got to try it.

Spaghetti with Avocado Sauce

2 large handfuls of brown rice spaghetti (or whole wheat if you're making this for those who can eat gluten)
1 avocado, halved and pitted
1 large lemon
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of spinach
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp dried basil (a nice big bunch of fresh basil would be great here as well)

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat on your stove, before adding in your spaghetti and cooking for about 8-10 minutes (check the back of the box or bag for the exact cooking time)
For the sauce, you'll need either an immersion blender, or food processor (I used an immersion blender, which we all know is my best friend in the kitchen)
In a tall bowl, combine the avocado, garlic, and olive oil. Squeeze the whole lemon into the bowl as well, being careful not to drop any seeds in
Blend the ingredients in the bowl well before adding in the salt, pepper, basil, and spinach
Blend again until the sauce is smooth and creamy and there are no lumps. If you find the sauce to be a little to thick you can add a little more lemon juice and oil
Once the pasta is done, drain it before returning it to the pot and topping with the sauce
Toss to coat the pasta and enjoy!

green!

No comments:

Post a Comment