Monday, April 30, 2012

for the love of cookies

There's nothing like a good fresh baked cookie. I absolutely love cookies- but I'm never satisfied with a pre-packed chips ahoy cookie. If I'm going to have a cookie, it has to be big, fresh, and soft, otherwise I just don't want it. I've made a bunch of cookies in the past (a ton of them featured on this blog), and every time I bake them, I fall in love all over again. There is something so special about a cookie. I mean, brownies and cakes are amazing- don't get me wrong. But when cookies are good, they are their own individual little package of heaven. No other sweet gives so many people the joy that a cookie does when you have one in your hand (or hands, depending on how big they are).

Before we get to the cookie, a little back story. The other night, I was invited over to a new friend's apartment for dinner. As per usual, I volunteered myself for dessert duty. This is pretty typical for me. First off, I'm a bit of a controlling person (trust me, my boyfriend will back me up on this one), so I like doing things my way. Second off, I like knowing that there will be a dessert that is gluten free at the table (and I'm not just talking fruit or some meringues). Third, I hate to brag, but my desserts are delicious! Plus, I get to spread the love when I bring them somewhere. I enjoy nothing more than sharing my desserts with people and watching them smile in delight as they take in the amazing scents and tastes of my baking. Especially to make something gluten free that tastes truly great- that really amazes people, and I have to say, I like that amazement.

When invited to a dinner, I usually bring two desserts. It's just hard for me not to- I like everyone to have options. It's nice to go with something chocolately and something not so chocolately. I decided to stick with my old reliable favorite, pumpkin bread, for the non-chocolate dessert. If you haven't tried it out- seriously, you must. I'm not trying to brag (after all this is my mom's recipe turned gf) but this stuff is seriously amazing. Ask my friends, ask anyone whose tried it (even if they're not my friend!), it is beyond delicious. Click here for the recipe: Pumpkin Bread

And now, what you've really been waiting for- the cookie recipe. For the chocolate dessert I tried to go with something a little different. I like to peruse many an online source for recipe ideas. I love reading the food sections in New York Magazine and the New York Times- it makes me feel like I'm keeping up with the foodie scene (as much as possible) in my favorite city. I came across this cookie recipe awhile back and knew one day I'd have to try it. This comes from the kitchen of Francois Payard, a pastry chef so talented, I can only dream of one day even coming close to his level. Here's my twist on his cookies, which I have to say- came out deliciously. I had one straight from the oven, and one the next day- both were amazing. A bit crispy on the outside, soft and fudgey on the inside, a wonderful homemade cookie (sorry Chips Ahoy)!

nutty, chocolate perfection.



Flourless Chocolate Pecan Walnut Cookies

2 cups pecans
1 cup walnuts
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt I threw a little extra in there for good measure)
4 large egg whites at room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract


toasty nuts
the before- ready for the oven

Preheat your oven to 320 degrees
In in a pan on your stove (you could also do this in the oven), toast up your nuts
Once they start to brown and have a nice fragrant nutty smell, take them off the heat and let them cool before chopping them coarsely
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together (you can use your electric mixer here too: use the whisk attachment here low) the powdered sugar, cocoa, and salt
Add in the nuts and whisk to combine
Turn up the speed to medium and add in the egg whites and vanilla
Mix ingredients together until JUST combined- The batter should get moist, but once it is, do not over mix, we're not looking to make meringues here!
Spoon the batter onto two baking sheets lined with parchment paper (an ice cream scoop works as a good portion size), and spread them out evenly- the cookies will expand
Bake in the oven for 14 minutes or until the tops of the cookies look glossy and start to crack
This recipe should make about 12-13 good sized cookies (and by good, I mean great sized cookies)
enjoy!!

the after- ready for my mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment