Monday, May 28, 2012

magically delicious

Sometimes you just need something gooey and delicious, with all of your favorite dessert flavors, in one perfectly delicious bite. One of my favorite recipes of all time, and one of the easiest recipes of all time, is my Seven Layer Bars, known to some as magic bars. I have no idea why they're also called magic bars, perhaps because they come together like magic, and are magically delicious. Ive been making them for years, and my friends at home can attest, they never last long once they come out of the oven. The great thing about these bars, is that you can customize them to include your favorites, and they always come out perfectly.

As I've said before, my co-workers are some of my biggest food fans. Maybe they're just humoring me (or maybe people will just eat anything that goes out in the kitchen), but every time I bake something, and bring it into the office, it flies off the plate in a matter of minutes. Fortunately, these bars were no exception. I even had one of my friends tell me that she loved the crust the best! Having a supportive group of friends around me at work is so important to me, and I love sharing my creations with them. Not only are they supportive of my work, but they're also supportive of my work in the kitchen!

I decided to bake these to celebrate a co-worker moving on from our office to go to graduate school. I had been itching to make this recipe, and after having an incredibly busy week, I knew this was the perfect yummy treat to bring in. This recipe is the perfect throw together when you want to make something quick, easy and delicious. The one catch? The crust for these delicious bars is typically made with graham cracker. Graham cracker crusts are delicious and simple, but unfortunately, not gluten free friendly. I was determined to find a tasty alternative to the typical crust. One large obstacle standing in my way however, was finding a crust that would hold up to this loaded bars. I played around a bit, and came up with something that worked really well! I was incredibly happy, and after adding a few special touches, the crust came out deliciously. (If you're not GF, just combine graham cracker crumbs and butter- it will work just the same!) Like I said before, you can add any layer of your choosing to make these bars your own. Traditionally, they are made with pecans and butterscotch chips, but I was looking for a bit more salty/sweet contrast in my bars. Try these out, and have some fun with them. They're easy and delicious- but be careful, you won't be able to eat just one!


delicious.

Seven Layer Bars

2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/8 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup roasted salted peanuts
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk

let the layering begin
almost there
ready for the oven

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat on your stove
Once melted, combine butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl --it should form a pretty wet but still a bit crumbly consistency
Pour the crust into a 9x12 baking dish, that has been sprayed with non-stick baking spray, and spread evenly in the dish
Sprinkle the chocolate chips in an even later over the crust
Sprinkle the peanuts in an even layer over the chips
Sprinkle the peanut butter chips in an even layer over the peanuts
Sprinkle the coconut over the chips
Pour the entire can of condensed milk evenly over the coconut layer, covering the entire dish
Place the dish into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the crust and top of the bars begin to brown
Allow to fully cool, and place in the refrigerator for an hour or so to allow for easy cutting
Cut the dish into even bars, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment