Friday, May 25, 2012

a new twist on a classic

Sometimes, you just need to remake a classic. When I was growing up, mashed potatoes were my favorite food. Now, I know what you're thinking, what is so great about mashed potatoes? I couldn't tell you what it was about them, but if you asked me, I would tell you mashed potatoes were my favorite. At camp, on baked potato lunch days (really, who has a baked potato for lunch?!), I would spend the entire time "prepping" and creating mashed potatoes out of my potato- so strange, I know. To be fair, before mashed potatoes, my favorite food was broccoli, so clearly I was just a weirdo kid, what can I say.

The other day I was having dinner with a friend, who I often like to cook with. She and I like a lot of the same things, and love to spend nice evenings enjoying each other's company. My friend had come across a recipe a little while back for mashed cauliflower, and requested we make that for dinner, along side our typical kale salad with all sorts of yummies mixed in.

Another thing about me, is that I really hate following recipes. Even if I'm following an interesting recipe I found online or on one of my favorite cookbooks, I rarely go by the exact directions. I've actually had to train myself to do so when baking, since baking truly is a science. But when cooking, I like just having fun with my ingredients. I really think that the best way to cook, is having your nose, eyes, and most importantly mouth guide you. As I cook, I like to taste as I go, using my little taste buds to guide my flavors. So, in typical Sara fashion, when my friend came over the other night, I decided to make up a new recipe as I went along. This recipe will seriously knock your socks off. If you're looking to update an old favorite, put a twist on a classic, or just looking for a new way to get in your veggies, look no further than this amazing cauliflower mash. When I tell you that this tastes amazing, and so closely mimics creamy, delicious mashed potatoes, I promise, I am not just trying to get you to eat healthier. These are seriously delicious. It takes so little time to prep, and the result is delicious. With a few simple steps, and just a few ingredients, you will have an impressive, healthy, and tasty dish in no time.




Cauliflower Mash

1 large head of cauliflower
1/4 tsp garlic powder (you could also use roasted garlic for this, however raw garlic will not work)
1 tsp sea salt, more to taste (I used rosemary garlic sea salt, which was awesome)
a sprinkle of pepper
1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (I used rosemary, thyme, dill, and chive)

steamy cauliflower
mashed in minutes!

Bring 1 inch of water to boil in a large pot on your stove, turn down to medium heat
Chop your cauliflower into a few large chunks so that it fits in the pot. Be sure to remove any green parts, but leave the white stem
Place the cauliflower into the boiling water, cover, and allow the cauliflower to steam until very soft to touch with a fork (about 10 minutes or so)
Once the cauliflower is done, place into a large bowl
Season the cauliflower with the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and herbs
Using your immersion blender (stick blender; I've written about this before- if you don't have one, it is a great cooking tool investment. With an immersion blender you can easily make soups, sauces, and anything mashed), gently pulse the cauliflower until it reaches a creamy smooth texture. The cauliflower should resemble mashed potatoes very closely
Season with any additional salt and pepper to your liking
enjoy!!

the perfect addition to a delicious dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment