Tuesday, June 12, 2012

for the love of baking

Whenever we have people over our apartment for dinner, or I go to someone else's apartment, I almost always, without fail, volunteer myself to bring dessert. I suppose there are a few reasons why I do this. First of all, I simply love to bake. Cooking relaxes me at the end of a long day, but baking provides a challenge for me. I've had to learn (the hard way) that there is a reason why exact measurements are necessary when baking. When I cook, I can typically throw things together, measuring by the sight, smell, and taste of my ingredients. As I cook, I always continue to taste along the way, so that the flavors get layered correctly. Baking on the other hand, is more of an exact science. But, the reward that comes from serving anyone good food (whether baked or cooked), is totally outstanding for me. I love when people try my food, and not only do they like it, but the experience of eating it makes them smile. Often people will volunteer to pick up desserts for a dinner, and while there are seriously a TON of amazing bakeries in New York, there is something special about putting a little extra love into what you bring to dinner.

Another, more selfish reason I suppose, is that I like to bring things that I can eat. For the most part, store bought (even bakery bought) gluten free desserts are just okay. When I bake (for the most part) I know that I'll be bringing something just a little bit more delicious to the table. I don't like burdening other people with the responsibility of finding a good gluten free dessert, or eating a bad one. Plus, it is incredibly rewarding to hear that a dessert is good from someone who is not gluten free. I also just love dessert. Is there anything wrong with that? That is probably the simple and best reason. I love the smell of baking in my apartment, I love nibbling on spare chocolate chips, and I love adding recipes to my baking repertoire.

The other night, we were having a bunch of friends over for dinner. Everyone was bringing something, but my roommate, boyfriend and I volunteered to make most of the dishes (we love cooking! I know, totally strange). We made a delicious dinner, which was followed by, in my opinion, an amazing dessert. I tried out a new recipe and I think it came out deliciously. You all know my devotion to pumpkin, and of course, it popped up in this recipe as well. It was the perfect combo of chocolate and non-chocolate dessert, all swirled into one delicious square.


swirled delicious

Pumpkin Swirl Brownies

8 tbsp unsalted butter
6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups gf flour mix (or regular flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups pumpkin (pure pack, not pumpkin pie filling)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
pumpkin...chocolate
delicious layers
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
Line a 9x9 baking dish with parchment paper, and line the paper with non-stick cooking spray as well
Melt the chocolate and butter over a double broiler (a heatproof bowl set over a sauce pan of simmering water) on your stove, stirring until completely melted and smooth
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt
With your electric mixer, mix together the sugar, eggs, and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy (around 4 minutes)
Once combined, slowly add in the flour mixture while continuing to beat the batter
Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl, and mix in the chocolate mixture, stirring to combine well
Add the pumpkin, oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the other half of the batter
Pour half of the chocolate batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly and smoothly
Pour half of the pumpkin batter on top of the chocolate layer, spreading carefully with a rubber spatula
Repeat once more with the chocolate and pumpkin. You should end up with 4 layers
With a knife, swirl the two batters together. Place the knife all the way into the bottom of the pan, and gently swirl the batter to create a marbled effect
Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Cool and cut into squares. Enjoy!


the perfect end to any meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment