Tuesday, June 19, 2012

quick and easy

Sometimes, after a long day at work, you want something quick but delicious to throw together for dinner. I'm a big fan of big flavors and fresh ingredients, so I try to avoid frozen or pre-packaged meals when possible. But, I understand the difficulty that many post-college 20 somethings have, trying to make quick, healthy meals for one or two, and living on their own for the first time (and let's be honest, many families don't have the time either after long work and school days). I have a few go-to recipes for these types of days. I try to stock my fridge and pantry with ingredients that are easy to use, and versatile for long days when I need to pull dinner together with little effort. By taking advantage of the ingredients that I always keep on hand, and combining them with whatever fresh produce that I happen to have in my fridge, I can usually turn out a good meal in under 20 minutes. I know that it is definitely something that many people my age (and in general), have difficulty with, so I hope that this post, and others found here on my blog, will inspire you to take the extra five minutes to cook something fresh, rather than defrost something frozen. Many of the dishes that I make for dinner are easy to put together, and don't have an excess of unnecessary ingredients (those things that you buy from the supermarket, use once, and then sit in your fridge). Following the vein of eating local, eating fresh is great for you, your body, and the world around you. Next time you go to grab for a lean cuisine, or even an Amy's frozen meal, try going the extra step, and using your stove instead of your microwave.

One of my best friend's little sisters is in the city for the summer. She is an aspiring film maker, with two awesome internships for the next few months. She also happens to be living in an NYU dorm around the corner from me --please, be more convenient. The other night she came over for dinner, and after a long day at work I wanted to make something tasty and filling, that would not be a totally time consuming dinner. One of my favorite go-to meals is anything Asian inspired. Stir fry, be it with veggies, tofu, or edamame, combined with some good asiany sauce is always easily pulled together, and I just love me some Asian noodles. When my friend came over, I decided to make sesame peanut noodles, one of my absolute favorites. With some fresh veggies thrown in, and a delicious side of steamed greens, this meal was quick, simple, and incredibly delicious. Definitely try it out for yourself, and impress your guests (and your taste buds) in no time; I promise the extra few minutes are worth it.

dinner in under 20? yes please!

Sesame Peanut Noodles with Sesame Rainbow Chard


6 oz (3 servings, or 1 medium handful) brown rice spaghetti (or whole wheat pasta will work here; these noodles will hold up better to the sauce than regular Asian rice noodles)
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup chunky peanut butter
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp warm water (more depending on how you like the consistency of your sauce)
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
3 chives or 1 green onion, chopped

Bring a pot of water to boil on your stove, and cook the noodles as per the instructions on the box. Be sure that the noodles are slightly al dente
Drain the noodles and rinse with cool water, allowing them to come to room temperature
In a bowl, whisk together oil, garlic, peanut butter, lime juice, and water until they are well combined into a sauce. Add more water as needed depending on how you like the thickness of your sauce
Whisk in the sesame seeds to the sauce
Toss the noodles, carrot, and pepper in the noodles
Top with chive and enjoy!



1 large head of rainbow swiss chard
1 tsp sesame oil
a sprinkle of sesame seeds

Chop the chard (leaves and stems) into bite size pieces
Place in a shallow sauce pan over medium heat with a splash of water and a splash of sesame oil
Cover the pan and allow the chard to steam until it just begins to turn limp
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment