Sunday, July 29, 2012

handling the heat wave

If you hadn't noticed, lately I've been very into making "no-bake" recipes. I know it sounds a little crazy, but for someone who is as baking crazed as I am, the summertime can be hard. Not only is it totally treacherous to stand in front of my 350 degree oven as it wafts hot air in my direction, but the heat totally messes with ingredients as well.  When baking blondies a few weeks ago, they became chocolate swirl blondies instead of chocolate chip blondies because the chips were melted into the batter even before they went into the oven! Overheating and cooling can be problematic when baking in the summer, plus sometimes it is just plain uncomfortable.

That being said, I'd never let a little 93 degree heat wave come between me and my dessert creations. While it might be hot, I still want to make delicious things, and I know you guys do too. I came up with this recipe after seeing similar recipes popping up on other food blogs. They looked delicious, and I'm a sucker for anything with chocolate and peanut butter. Plus, these are naturally gluten free, which is something that can be hard to come by. Best of all, they're no bake, thus continuing my quest for cooler baking experiences in my little kitchen.

These cookies had a 2 fold purpose: first, I made them to bring in and share with my co-workers for a birthday celebration. They went over incredibly well, and since you can make many in a batch, the other half of these bad boys were supposed to go camping with me this weekend. While camping didn't happen (hello?! did you see the weather forecast?), and I was super bummed not to get to make smores, I just had more of these to myself. They are easy to make, (somewhat) healthy, and incredibly delicious. You can pull them together quickly, and I will definitely be making them again. You could certainly add in other nuts, dried fruit, and different kinds of chips to change them up a little --or even another kind of nut butter. They were the perfect combo of salty and sweet, and I'm still enjoying them days later. Keep them in the fridge and you'll have bite-sized treats for days!


no bake peanut butter-chocolate granola balls

1 1/2 cups rolled oats (I used gluten free rolled oats- make sure the bag is marked as such!)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup peanut butter chips
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
before

and after!

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mixing well with your hands until all ingredients are combined
Chill in your fridge for 30 minutes
Remove from fridge and form into small balls with your hands (they should be around the size of a ping pong ball)
Keep in an airtight container in your fridge and enjoy for days!





No comments:

Post a Comment