Monday, August 13, 2012

a fresh fiesta

As you well know, I love the farmer's market. This time of year I basically do all of my produce shopping there. Everything is simply so sweet and fresh, I just can't get enough. Plus, everything is incredibly reasonably priced and as fresh as you can get. A word to the wise, be sure to go on an empty stomach! Seriously, every time I go to the green market I must eat an entire salad, with a fruit salad on the side. This week some of the most delicious things I tasted were amazing heirloom tomatoes, sweet cherry tomatoes, yummy sauteed peppers, berries (blue, black, and rasp!), the first apples of the fall season, and the sweetest most amazing peaches, nectarines, and plums I have ever had. No joke, I seriously ate a ton. There are also tons of bread and cheese samples, jam and cracker samples, and even lamb merguez samples (to the delight of my boyfriend).

One of my favorite things to buy this time of year is sweet summer corn. Not only is it amazingly delicious when roasted or grilled, but it is so delicious eaten fresh. I absolutely love tossing it in at the end of a saute, topping a salad off with it, or making some delicious corn salsa. Right off of the cob, there is something so delicious about sweet yellow-white corn.

The best thing about it this time of year is that you can get it so inexpensively at the farmer's market. Some places have it for $1 an ear or even 50 cents an ear, but at my favorite stands you can get 5 ears for $2! Best deal ever. I'm so happy that corn has stayed so inexpensive at New York and New Jersey farms this summer, since all around the country corn prices have been sky rocketing. Sadly, due to the incredible drought that has been wreaking havoc on the crops across America. Unfortunately this means rising grocery, meat, and corn prices. While lately there has been some rain, much of the crops across the nation were killed off by this summer's extreme heat wave. I am very thankful, and happy for the tri-state area farmers, that their crops were able to survive. So many people's livelihoods depend on their delicious crops they sell weekly, which another one of my favorite reasons to buy local.

The other night, I had three wonderful girls over to my apartment for dinner. All three spent their summers interning in the city in between their sophomore and junior years of college. I loved having them here, and this was one last time of us getting together. While I'll miss them in the city, I know they'll be back to visit! I decided to make an amazingly fresh and delicious meal, highlighted by all of my amazing produce from the green market, and topped off with some fresh corn. Check out the local produce near you, and have a fiesta for yourself!!

Fresh Corn and Summer Squash Tacos

1/2 large onion, chopped
2 medium sized summer squash, chopped into 1 1/2 inch long matchsticks (any type will do- I used patty pan here)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
2 large ears of corn (taken off the cob)
8 soft corn tortilla shells
1 large heirloom or beefsteak tomato
1-2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1-2 cups fresh guacamole (ours was made by one of my amazing guests!!)

deliciously fresh

Heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium high heat
Add the onion to the pan and allow to cook for a few minutes before adding the squash to the pan
Season with salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika
Once cooked for about 7 minutes, add the corn and cook for 1 more minute before removing from heat
Warm the tortillas in a different saute pan over medium-low heat until they begin to warm and the sides begin to curl slightly
Remove tortillas and build your taco (see a few pictures for inspiration!)
Enjoy!

build your own taco

fiesta in your mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment