Sunday, September 23, 2012

soup season

Soup is one of my all time favorite things to cook. As we move closer and closer into fall (and winter, gah!), you'll see soup recipes popping up all over my blog. There are so many amazing and creative way to combine ingredients into a soup or stew. And honestly, in my opinion (and to be fair, I am ALWAYS cold), there is nothing better than curling up with a steaming bowl or mug full of soup. The great thing about soup is that you can turn any ingredients into a  great soup; all you need are some spices and herbs, some water, and some amazing vegetables. Honestly, if you've never made a soup, just give it a try- now is the season!

I definitely get my passion for soups from my mom. For as long as I can remember, she has always spent Sundays in my house cooking up a storm. Because she works full time, and truly cares about my family having wonderful home-made meals, she often makes a few things on Sundays that can be eaten throughout the week, and one of those things is always soup. She is seriously a soup goddess-- she sometimes has 3 pots of different kinds of soup working on the stove. Growing up her chicken soup with matzah balls and alphabet pasta was always my favorite. And while she does make a mean matzah ball soup, my appreciation has grown over the years for her other soups as well.

She also introduced me to one of my favorite kitchen tools, the immersion blender. With this up-right stick blender (that I have written lovingly about in the past), you can blend just about anything right away. One of my mom's classic soups is what I love to call her "green soup". Essentially it is a blended soup filled with whatever fresh veggies and herbs that we have lying around my house- let me tell you, it is a serious winner. So easy to make, so fresh and delicious, it is a great way to use up whatever yummy veggies you have in your kitchen. The next time you're craving soup, check out this delicious and easy soup!


Green Soup

1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 large heads of broccoli, chopped
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 leek, chopped (optional)
1 medium white (or regular) sweet potato, cubed
4 cups of water (+ or -, depending), added slowly across cooking time
2 tbsp fresh herbs (I used chive, parsley, basil, rosemary, sage, and dill)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp garlic powder

veggie party

herbalicious

Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat
Add in your vegetables and allow them to start sweating down
Season with salt, pepper, and garlic
After they have cooked for about 10 minutes, add 2 or so cups of water (be careful here- add enough water to fill up the pot about 2/3 of the way, but do not drown your veggies!)
Cover and allow to cook for an hour or so
Add in your fresh herbs, and add water if you feel like your soup will be too thick
Using your immersion blender, blend your soup until it is smooth and almost creamy
If you like thinner soup, add more water in slowly until you've reached desired consistency
enjoy!

yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment