Sunday, September 23, 2012

berrylicious

To all of my blogger fans out there, first of all- thank you for reading my blog. It is so great logging in and seeing the numbers of people that have read my recipes. I love to cook and share my cooking with those I love. I hope that reading inspires you to do the same! I have to apologize though, because I have been seriously lacking in blog posts lately. Not that there is any excuse for not sharing my delicious creations with you, however I have been slightly pre-occupied lately between work, studying, and working on applying to graduate school. Most of my free time has been dedicated to the latter two, so for now, my blogging (sadly) takes a back seat. However, I have still been cooking and taking pictures so that I can share them with you when I have the time, like tonight!

A classic recipe that my mom loves to make is a blueberry crumb cake. For as long as I can remember, she always made this for brunches, to bring up to camp on visiting day, and for dessert after holiday meals. It is a classic family dessert, and beyond delicious. Eat it for breakfast, snack, or dessert, and I promise you won't be disappointed. Sometimes crumb cakes or coffee cakes can be challenging to make, especially with a yummy, crumbly topping. But, I am here to tell you that this recipe is easy and so delicious.

With the summer coming to a close, now is the prime time to take advantage of the last of the fresh berries that are still available and in season. Nothing beats summer produce and this recipe calls for fresh, not frozen blueberries, and I promise you- they are amazing. It is so worth the extra effort of using fresh berries. If you have the chance to pick your own and have a surplus, make this for your family and friends, it is a perfect way to display the freshness of the berries, allowing their flavor to shine through and not be overly masked by sugar, and your friends will love it!

Blueberry Crumb Cake

Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups gf flour mix (or ap flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 tbsp gf flour mix (or ap flour)
1 pint blueberries

Topping
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup gf flour mix (or ap flour)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, softened

berries
topping
perfection.


Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
Beat together butter and sugar until fluffy with an electric mixer
Beat in egg and vanilla
In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
Add the dry ingredients to the butter, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients
Mix until just combined
In a large bowl, mix the blueberries with 1 tbsp flour to coat them, and fold them into the batter gently
Pour the batter into an 8x8 pan greased and lined with parchment paper
Combine the remaining sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl
Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly
Sprinkle the topping evenly on the batter
Bake for 1 hour or until the center comes out clean
Cool and enjoy all day long!


No comments:

Post a Comment