Monday, February 6, 2012

birthday cake, a first gluten free attempt

It's my personal belief that everyone should have a birthday cake on their birthday. Maybe it comes from many years of homemade birthday cakes from my mom, or just my desire to eat cake as much as possible, but it is something that I truly believe in. I love nothing more then presenting a freshly baked cake covered in candles as I sing (off-pitch) happy birthday.

The challenge this time though, was that it was my first gluten free cake. After having stomach troubles for years, I was finally convinced by my loving mother and boyfriend to try out a gluten free diet. And how could I not, after my boyfriend offered to go gluten free along with me. Eating gluten free had been going well for a few weeks, when I realized that my boyfriend's birthday was fast approaching- what would I do about a cake. Growing up with a friend that was gluten free, and having a cousin on the diet as well, I've been around my fare share of gluten-free cakes. Let me tell you, they don't usually taste so great. As a self proclaimed cake queen, both the prospect of a birthday without cake or a birthday with yucky cake was not something I wanted to even think about. Knowing all too well that it might not come out so great, I took the plunge.

What resulted was a two layer yellow-buttermilk cake, with orange cream cheese butter-cream frosting and an almond brown sugar crumble in between the layers. This cake was inspired by my all time favorite cake, which can sadly only be found at the Bubble Room on Captiva Island in Florida (unfortunately, they do not make a gluten-free option).
My cakes cooling, after being baked in my beautiful silicone baking pans, thanks Mom!


Though I was incredibly nervous while making the cake (Xanthum gum?!? What is up with this stuff??), I have to say, it turned out pretty successfully. The cake itself was moist --the texture was an almost perfect match to regular yellow cake. The largest compliments came from our friends who were shocked that such a cake could be gluten free. And the deliciously large amount of icing on top definitely helped.



Moist Yellow Birthday Cake
with Orange Cream Cheese Butter Cream and Brown Sugar Crumble

1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 3/4 cups gluten free flower mix (I used King Aurthur Flour)
3 teaspoons xanthum gum
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest


1/2 lb butter (softened)
16 oz cream cheese (softened)
8 cups confectioners sugar
1 splash of vanilla extract
2-3 table spoons orange juice (depending on your preference of flavor and texture)
2 teaspoons orange zest


1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup crushed toasted almonds (or slivered almond slices would work as well)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour two 9x9 inch pans

Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and xanthum gum

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
Beat the eggs in one at a time, and then add vanilla, orange, and orange zest
Beat in the flour mixture alternatively with the buttermilk (start and end with dry mix)

Pour batter evenly into two pans and bake for 35-40 minutes
note: this recipe will rise a good amount in the kitchen, so do not fill the pans any higher than 2/3 of the way with batter.


For frosting, combine softened butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium for 4 minutes (until combined well and fluffy). Add sugar at low speed (do NOT turn this up past your lowest speed level, it will fly everywhere). Once combined add vanilla, orange, and zest, and mix for a minute or two on high until all well combined. 
(I also added a few drops of orange food coloring here, for extra effect!)

For crumble, combine brown sugar and crushed almonds.

Once cool, ice bottom layer, and then sprinkle well with crushed almonds mixed with brown sugar. Place second layer on top and ice top and sides
enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment