Tuesday, February 14, 2012

super bowl sweets

Even as a little girl, I always loved football. Nothing was better than curling up on a Sunday, and watching a game with my dad. I can't tell you what it was about the game, but I was always fascinated and entertained. I told my dad that I wanted to grow up and be a quarterback (though, I wanted to be a lot of things when I grew up). Needless to say, while my middle school football team had one or two girls on the team, I was not one of them. I quickly realized that not only did I lack the athletic talent to be a pro-sports player, but there was no way I wanted to have a 300lb defensive tackle headed in my direction.

Despite not pursing my NFL dreams, I still love watching football, and love Superbowl Sunday. For me, Superbowl snacks definitely trump the commercials. While everyone else looks forward to the newest Budwiser or Kia commercial, I look forward to the menu. There's nothing better than coming to a Superbowl party armed with delicious snacks for hungry (slightly drunken) fans. The Superbowl is always a good excuse for me to bake more than I could possibly eat alone, and share these goodies with friends. This year, was no exception.

Since I have a problem with over cooking, and making more than I could possibly need, I decided to go with both a cookie and a brownie for my boyfriend's Superbowl party. Both were new recipes, and both were delicious. They were devoured by hungry fans, and finished up by my wonderful co-workers the next day (I swear, someone is paying them to compliment me on my baked goods). The highest compliment a gluten free chef can get, is one from those who don't know a cookie is gluten free, and are not forced to eat gluten free. These recipes were in high demand after my friends ate them, so here you go!



I made monster cookies and double chocolate chip brownies. I made them gluten free, however you certainly could use regular all purpose flour and regular oats. The cookies are chunky and delicious- they would be great with nuts, peanut butter chips, or any other yummy you might want to add. The brownies are chocolate, moist, and frankly out of this world. Make them at your own risk, you will want to be sure you have people to share them with, or you will find yourself with a belly full of brownies in a short amount of time.





Monster Cookies


2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp corn syrup
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
4 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup plain M&Ms

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and both brown and regular sugars. Add one egg at a time, continuing to mix in between
Add vanilla, corn syrup, baking soda, and peanut butter. Mix on medium high until smooth
Add oats and mix well--Once you think you're done mixing, scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again
Add the chocolate chips and M&M's (Mix these by hand! Otherwise your electric mixer will massacre your M&M's)
Place dough in the fridge for 30 minutes (This will help it firm up before baking)
Roll dough into balls, 1 tablespoon each, placing 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper*
Bake until edges are golden brown, or about 10 minutes
Let cool on baking sheets for two minutes, and then transfer to cooling racks
enjoy!!

Monsterlicious

*These cookies WILL expand, stick to smaller cookies, and be sure they are spaced out at least two inches, or else you will end up with cookie cake!



Double Chocolate Chip Brownies


1.5 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup canola oil
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces (or chips)
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp instant espresso powder (Coffee grinds will work here too!)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1 cup gluten free flour
¼ tsp xanthum gum
½ cup chocolate chips

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees
Place a glass or metal bowl over a sauce pan with an inch of simmering water
Add the butter, chocolate, cocoa powder, oil, and espresso powder to the bowl. Once fully melted, stir to combine and remove from heat. Let the chocolate mixture cool for 5 minutes
Combine the brown sugar and white sugar with the eggs in an electric mixer
Once fully combined at the vanilla extract, flour, and xanthum gum--mix until fully combined
Add melted chocolate mixture, and stir to combine. Once mixed, add chocolate chips
Pour batter into a 9x13 baking ban lined with parchment paper (butter paper as well for easy removal)
Smooth out with spatula to ensure even baking
Bake for 25 minutes
Let cool completely and cut to enjoy! 
Cooling in the fridge may help make cutting easier

Ooey, Gooey, delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment